This qualification is primarily intended for all those individuals who are working in health and social care environments where infection control principles and procedures is a pre-requisite and an inter-connected part of their daily roles and responsibilities. This course is also ideal for anyone who requires refresher training or continuing professional development (CPD) training. Individuals who attend this course will learn the importance of personal and environmental cleanliness to prevent the spread of infection. Furthermore, emphasis on recognition of patient infection and correct techniques used when in contact with the person suffering from an infection will prepare the student to promote safe working practices in the care environment. The course will include guidance on accidental exposure and injury to staff to better help the student to deal with such instances on their occurrence. Course participants will develop their knowledge and skills in infection control including:
The content of the course will cover:
- Micro-organisms, their functions and negative effects to include disease and infection.
- The chain of infection and the principles of infection control
- Contamination of staff and patients through either direct or indirect contact.
- Environmental cleanliness and cleaning, disinfection and sterilization of equipment.
- Food hygiene and food poisoning.
- Recognition of patient infection and hospital acquired infections.
- Personal health and hygiene, and uniform maintenance.
- Hand hygiene, when to decontaminate hands, and the importance of general hand care and infection control policies for healthcare staff.
- Personal protective equipment and protective barrier precautions.
- Clinical waste and sharps disposal precautions.
- Managing blood and bodily fluids: correct collecting, handling and labelling of specimens
- Accidental exposure to blood and/or body fluids and needle stick injury procedures.
Successful candidates will receive a Certificate of Attendance.
Half-day (3 hours).
None, but all course participants must be physically well and feel capable to participate in the activities and procedures detailed above within the course outline.
This course is available to Nurses and Allied Health Care Professionals as part of their own CPD portfolio.
What Our Students Say:
- “Excellent course, information conveyed by tutors made it very easy to understand. Would highly recommend WEST to our colleagues and look forward to participating in future courses.”
- “Excellent course, congratulations.”
- “Hands-on approach, friendly instructors, really enjoyed everything.”
- “This CPD course was vital for my NMC Registration and it was great fun learning today so I didn’t mind doing this course and I would recommend it to anyone”.
Book and reserve your place on this course by contacting WEST NI at firstname.lastname@example.org or by using the contact facility on this website.
Negotiable rates for larger groups, and courses organised at employer’s own venue, please contact the administrative officer for more details on email@example.com
We want to make you fully aware of how we work as a training company, so please read these before making a booking. View Terms and Conditions